Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 【原創】On Current Affairs, more ramblings part 2(?)
willyho
發表於: Feb 18 2016, 05:29  評價+3
Quote Post

八品官

發表數: 250
所屬群組: 一般
註冊日期: 10-01-2003

活躍:6
聲望:110

Given the recent events in HK, there are potentially many issues that have risen to the surface. What I want to do here is to comment on a few things in relation to the apparent position statements of the student unions of universities in Hong Kong. 

Personally, I wholeheartedly believe that universities should be politically neutral, in exchange for their academic freedom. I believe this neutrality stand should be passed onto student unions as well. Regardless of whether the individual student agrees with the general political opinions, the student union tends to be regarded as representative of the student populace as a whole. As a result, society's perception is in part dictated by these student unions. Hence when an individual student graduates and applies for a job, they may suffer in terms of first impressions due to the general reputation of Hong Kong students. Since this is not a discussion about career prospects, let me move on to the main issue at stake.

Below is an excerpt from HKSU: 
Standing in others’ shoes, one shall only shiver in horror when the gunshot across the air was heard, the gun barrel pointing at skulls were witnessed. In view of such situation, hundreds of citizens overcame their terror and rose to revolt for justice. Had PC 5619 taken the shot out of fear, how should people have reacted in face of the strikes and kicks of the fiendish police? At the same time, held in custody in the deep black car, the detainees suffered countless blows and punches, let alone further tortures as they arrived the police station. Did you, devoid of conscience, deem them to ask for their own troubles, it would only show your total lack of empathy. We are all the same. We are just human. We laugh when tickled, hurt when beaten. And when people are suppressed, they rebel for sure.

And sure, because PC 5619 is apparently not human, who has no fear... As for detainees tortured, is this a mere fantasy of the writer or an actual fact? The empathy is there, but doesn't extend far enough.
It was never only a day for all these to happen. Bricks and flames are the surface, the authoritarian and its suppression are indeed the crux. The Hong Kong government had once behaved and given in in view of peaceful demonstrations. But in recent years, the Hong Kong communist regime only became more shameless and even remained indifferent towards the hundreds of millions of support to true universal suffrage. As Hongkongers could no longer tolerate, people rose to revolt in the Umbrella Revolution with barricades and shields.

Again very naive. What about those who have to deal with the mess afterwards? How does disrupting the livelihood of local residents in MK justify your 'peaceful cause'?
My 'problem', or my 'beef' with the students is the LACK/ABSENCE of critical thinking ability. It is this sheer laziness of the intellect that bugs me, especially when these students are meant to be future 'pillars of society'. It is not as if they lack intellectual capacity. They are at university, although the number is not as rare as before, they are still a selected minority. The emphasis is that they made a deliberate choice to not think as an individual. This fear of being ostracized from the crowd, to not pay attention to detail merely displays a lack of self-responsibility. (If being a self is an achievement, they have none, despite individualism.)

I know I've said it elsewhere, but do these students actually understand what 'communism' is? Have they, for example tried to read up on the topic? What about googling, or wikipedia? Of course not!! What about 'democracy'? Again probably not!!

I'm not against people being passionate about an issue, in fact I envy those who have that strong emotion. But at least be well-informed about what you're arguing for.

Rant over 

FAAAARK!! The worst kind of insult to a philosophy student like me...

本篇文章已被 willyho 於 Feb 18 2016, 07:34 編輯過
PMEmail Poster
徐元直
發表於: Feb 18 2016, 14:11  
Quote Post

攤抖首領

發表數: 7,909
所屬群組: 君主
註冊日期: 9-18-2003

活躍:59
聲望:4175

QUOTE (willyho @ Feb 17 2016, 22:29)
My 'problem', or my 'beef' with the students is the LACK/ABSENCE of critical thinking ability. It is this sheer laziness of the intellect that bugs me, especially when these students are meant to be future 'pillars of society'. It is not as if they lack intellectual capacity. They are at university, although the number is not as rare as before, they are still a selected minority. The emphasis is that they made a deliberate choice to not think as an individual. This fear of being ostracized from the crowd, to not pay attention to detail merely displays a lack of self-responsibility. (If being a self is an achievement, they have none, despite individualism.)

I'm not against people being passionate about an issue, in fact I envy those who have that strong emotion. But at least be well-informed about what you're arguing for.

Case in point:

http://news.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=25548916

For reference, see page 3 [1.2.1 (3)] of the official document here: http://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/tc/curric...f_CLE%20KLA.pdf

本篇文章已被 徐元直 於 Feb 18 2016, 14:13 編輯過

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
willyho
發表於: Feb 18 2016, 17:13  
Quote Post

八品官

QUOTE (徐元直 @ Feb 18 2016, 22:11 )
QUOTE (willyho @ Feb 17 2016, 22:29)

Case in point:

http://news.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=25548916

For reference, see page 3 [1.2.1 (3)] of the official document here: http://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/tc/curric...f_CLE%20KLA.pdf

Just read the section you referred to in the document. I genuinely don't see the problem. After all it's just learning simplified characters after grounding in traditional characters. Kind of like learning the differences between US spelling and UK spelling.
PMEmail Poster
Pearltea
發表於: Feb 18 2016, 19:13  評價+2
Quote Post

四品官

發表數: 1,289
所屬群組: 太守
註冊日期: 9-22-2003

活躍:5
聲望:614

I find it puzzling that individuals students made personal opinions on behalf of other students (since the name "Student Unions" imply the representatives of students), and even irritating that biased statements were made in the names of the universities. 

Many student unions have publications that allow individual contributors to submit editorials and Op-Eds. I would think that is a better place for them to share opinions, along with the disclaimers that those are personal opinions and do not represent the opinions of the institution and its affiliated groups. To put a different spin on the action, it is beneficial to have diverse opinions among students within the higher education institutions, and that the institutions can openly respect and value different opinions.  However,the inappropriate use of language (including defamation) and propaganda in publications that imply the view of others and the institutions should be condemned.  

Honestly, I don't expect them to write as prolifically as those on the Harvard Crimson editorial board, but at least it would be great if they could keep the opinions civil, strengthen the argument by considering all facts, evidence, and counter arguments, and refrain from libeling anyone.  
PMEmail Poster
耒戈氏
發表於: Feb 19 2016, 01:03  評價+2
Quote Post

反潮流才是王道!!

發表數: 6,255
註冊日期: 7-15-2007

活躍:23
聲望:1540

Let me repeat this once more, The Student Union do NOT represent me.

And not just me, they don't represent a sizable fraction of the students. Way back when I am in college, there are many people that I know has said that they don't believe in democracy, and know the drawbacks of it.

(Basically, in a democratic system, those who can manipulate the general public wins. Period.)

And this time, the Student Union do not even ask for democracy. They just support destruction.

---

FYI, news said someone put a banner exactly saying that in HKU.

本篇文章已被 耒戈氏 於 Feb 19 2016, 01:31 編輯過
PM
Pearltea
發表於: Feb 19 2016, 02:22  
Quote Post

四品官

發表數: 1,289
註冊日期: 9-22-2003

活躍:5
聲望:614

QUOTE (willyho @ Feb 19 2016, 01:13 )
Kind of like learning the differences between US spelling and UK spelling.

Oh pleeeeeeease don't make me call carousel 'merry-go-round'!  grin2.gif
PMEmail Poster
willyho
發表於: Feb 19 2016, 04:58  
Quote Post

八品官

QUOTE (Pearltea @ Feb 19 2016, 10:22 )
QUOTE (willyho @ Feb 19 2016, 01:13)
Kind of like learning the differences between US spelling and UK spelling.

Oh pleeeeeeease don't make me call carousel 'merry-go-round'!  grin2.gif

It's realise not realize...  :rage5:
PMEmail Poster
0 位使用者正在閱讀本主題 (0 位訪客及 0 位匿名使用者)
0 位會員:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0156 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP 啟用 ]