發表於: Jun 9 2017, 08:49  
Quote Post

八品官

發表數: 250
所屬群組: 一般
註冊日期: 10-01-2003

活躍:6
聲望:110

The heated topic in Hong Kong this recent week has been homosexual marriage, due to a recent court ruling on a civil servant being denied his claim to civil servant social welfare for him and his partner simply because his partner is a man, with so-called Christians coming out of the woodwork in protest that the judicial review is detrimental to the sanctity of marriage. However, a recent proposal for change to the Easter holidays by a pro-chinese Functional Constituency member of the Legislative Council did not even garner a response from these supposedly devout “Christians”. So while these self-proclaimed Followers of Christ were quick to invoke words of the Lord on one hand, they made their hypocrisy known in maintaining silence in terms of proposed change to what has to be the most important holiday in the Christian calendar.

Over the last few days in Hong Kong, there was an appeal case in court whereby a male civil servant was denied his due welfare for him and his partner simply because of their homosexual relationship. The couple were married in New Zealand, where same-sex marriage is legally recognised, and the Hong Kong government recognises the legal status of marriages there; but in a blatant case of double standards, his application for civil servant welfare and taxation claims as a married couple were denied by the government, because it refused to recognise same-sex marriage. The matter was submitted to court for judicial review, and while the court ruled against the man’s taxation claims because the legislation made it clear that the relationship must be between husband and wife, it granted that the couple had legal rights to civil servant welfare as the legislations involved did not explicitly state that the partnership had to be heterosexual. Those against homosexual marriages in Hong Kong quickly jumped at the ruling, condemning it for subverting the sacred definition of marriage, amongst these people were so-called “Christians”. Of which, Priscilla Leung Mei Fun and Junius Ho Kwan Yiu, two pro-china “Christians” condemned the court ruling, with the former saying that it would damage the definition of marriage, causing schisms within the community, and open a legal loophole for other cases of non-standard marriages to apply for welfare in Hong Kong; while the latter made a statement likening homosexuals to animals.

However, the point of this article is not to debate homosexuals’ right to marriage and legal recognition of their same-sex relationship, but to note the hypocrisy of those “Christian” opponents supposedly out to defend Christian values. As a Christian myself, and a prophet of the Lord, I am aghast that there was not an even stronger voice of protest on behalf of the Christian faith, when an attempt was made to abolish the most important day of Easter, the day our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected from the dead. For while everyone was busy over the UGL and Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge corruption scandals, and now the reignited same-sex marriage debate, the Functional Constituency Legislative Council member Ma Fung Kwok submitted a proposal that Easter Monday be abolished to make space for a religious public holiday marking the birth of Confucius (see http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201705/...7051700368.htm).

The proposal did not receive as much publicity as the same-sex marriage issue, but it should have been at the fore of all those in Hong Kong who call themselves Christians, as there is no holiday more sacred to followers of Christ than Easter Monday. For according to the Christian faith, our Lord Jesus the Christ was crucified by Roman Governor Pontius Pilate and the Sanhedrin of Jerusalem on Friday during Passover, and was resurrected from the dead on the third day, now called Easter Monday. While Christmas marks the birth of the Lord on Earth, and Good Friday His crucifixion upon the Cross, Easter Monday is the day upon which all of Christianity is founded, as the Christian faith is meaningless without the Resurrection. Adding insult to injury, the removal of Easter Monday was proposed so that a pagan commemoration could take its place, and yet not one of those supposedly defenders of the Christian faith and values came out to protest!

In the words of the Lord Jesus Christ, “whoever denies Me before men, I will deny him before My Father in Heaven (Matthew 10:32-33).... I never knew you, depart from Me you evildoers (Matthew 7:23)!” For what can be a greater denial of Christ the Lord than to deny Him the day when He resurrected from the dead after atoning for the sins of humanity by dying on the Cross? To those who condemn homosexual marriage in the name of Christian values but says nothing against the proposal to remove the holiest day of the Christian faith to be replaced by a pagan day, woe to you worshippers of mammon! For the Lord can clearly see your true intentions, which is to remove all Christian holy days that the British had established in Hong Kong, so that the people will follow the calendar of china, the church of Satan.

A couple of things: First, Easter and Christmas are of pagan origins. So at worst, taking away Easter Monday and replace it with a commemoration day of Confucius is 'like for like'. As for being a Christian is equivalent to being a prophet of the Lord... Bit of an exaggeration, and a little bit shameless.

But what gets me in this article is that the meaning of a holiday or 'holy day' supersedes the well being of two persons who were denied their rights due to some archaic notion of marriage. THAT is hypocrisy! The whole treating others with respect is of less importance than fussing over the context of a public holiday. To be honest, nothing is lost. The long weekend is still there. Besides, no one is preventing Easter from being celebrated, just that the content was changed slightly. Besides, is the author angry, just because a public holiday is changed to be more accommodating for those who don't share the same beliefs?

The character of Jesus Christ despite flaws, deserves respect. His fan-base, not so much. 

本篇文章已被 willyho 於 Jun 9 2017, 08:50 編輯過
PMEmail Poster
Pearltea
發表於: Jun 10 2017, 04:29  評價+1
Quote Post

四品官

發表數: 1,289
所屬群組: 太守
註冊日期: 9-22-2003

活躍:5
聲望:614

Geez Louise, what’s up with that attitude? The author was totally ‘all about ‘me, me, me’

It’s fine if you (not OP but those who would agree with the author) choose certain religion and live/swear by its ethics, beliefs, values and traditions, but don’t force or impose your religious opinions on others.  Who’s to say one group deserves to observe religious holiday because ‘it’s a sacred day’ to you regardless of what it means to others?  If you had any respect for others or even just an iota of selflessness, then you would understand and appreciate the rebalance of public holiday – whether it applies to you or not. 
PMEmail Poster
0 位使用者正在閱讀本主題 (0 位訪客及 0 位匿名使用者)
0 位會員:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0194 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP 啟用 ]